ChronologyIn these uncertain times... we need better statistics.
- Carling Hay and JC Creveling showed how an ensemble of different, plausible chronologies can be quantitatively assembled in matching chemostratigraphic variaitons. They used this approach to evaluate published chronologies of the Cambrian and to propose hundreds of new ones (2019).
- Cristi Proistosescu developed a framework to better understand when orbital tuning should help improve the accuracy of a chronology (2012).
- Another topic is how time uncertainty affects spectral analysis or marine proxy records (2004) and Martian polar layer deposits (2009). Basically, time errors smear the energy in spectral peaks across frequency. Andy Rhines showed, however, that timing errors do not much affect estimates of power-law distributions (2011).
- Hay, Creveling, Hagen, Maloof, and Huybers A library of early Cambrian chemostratigraphic correlations from a reproducible algorithm, Geology, 2019. link, pdf
- Proistosescu, Huybers and Maloof To Tune or not to Tune: Detecting Orbital Variability in Oligo-Miocene Climate Records, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2012. pdf
- Rhines and Huybers, Estimation of spectral power laws in time-uncertain series of data with application to the GISP2 delta-18O record, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2011. pdf
- Huybers and Aharonsen, Orbital tuning, eccentricity, and the frequency modulation of climatic precession, Paleoceanography, 2010. pdf
- Perron and Huybers, Is there an orbital signal in the polar layered deposits on Mars? , Geology, 2009. pdf
- Haam and Huybers, A test for the presence of covariance between time-uncertain series of data with application to the Dongge Cave speleothem and atmospheric radiocarbon records, Paleoceanography, 2010. pdf
- Huybers, Glacial variability over the last 2Ma: an extended depth-derived agemodel, continuous obliquity pacing, and the Pleistocene progression, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2007. pdf and (supplemental material posted at NCDC)
- Huybers and Wunsch, A depth-derived Pleistocene age-model: uncertainty estimates, sedimentation variability, and nonlinear climate change, Paleoceanography, 2004. pdf