GlaciationWhat causes the variability in Plio-Pleistocene glaciation?
- A long-standing questions is why there is not more precession variability evident in proxy records during the early Pleistocene? In contrast to efforts to explain away precession (e.g., 2006, 2008), Parker Liautaud recently demonstrated that there are actually signifcant concentrations of precession variability in early Pleistocene glacial varations. Although often obscured by age-model issues, low-sampling resolution, and high background variability, early-Pleistocene precession variabaility is readily detectable across many marine sediment core delta18O records using a new fitting algorithm (2020).
- It has become increasingly clear that understanding glacial cycles requires understanding of the accompanying changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration. Although generally ascribed to variations in marine carbon pools, changes in atmospheric CO2 concentrations may also involve variations in fluxes from the solid Earth. Glacial unloading appears to have roughly tripled global volcanic activity during the last deglaciation and, quite possibly, also increased the volcanic emission of CO2 (2009). Charlie Langmuir and I suggest that interactions among ice-loaing, sea-level, and subaerial and submarine volcanic emissions of CO2 constitude a delayed oscillator with quasi-100ky periodicity (2017). Some support for this glacial-volcanic hypothesis comes from Bridigt Boulahanis showing that variations in the thickness of crust flanking portions of the East Pacific Rise are consistent with quasi-100 ky variations in melt production (2020).
- High resolution imagery and topography from Mars offers another perspective for understanding the orbital influence on glaciation, though positively identifying orbital variability has been challenging given currently available data (2009). An updated technique depending on dynamic warping works somewhat better (2014).
- Liautaud, Hodell, and Huybers, Detection of significant climatic precession variability in early Pleistocene glacial cycles , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2020. link.
- Boulahanis, Carbotte, Huybers, Nedimovic, Aghaei, Canales, and Langmuir Do sea level variations influence mid-ocean ridge magma supply? A test using crustal thickness and bathymetry data from the East Pacific Rise , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2020. link.
- Huybers and Langmuir Delayed CO2 emissions from mid-ocean ridge volcanism as a possible cause of late-Pleistocene glacial cycles, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2017. link, pdf
- Sori, Perron, Huybers and Aharonson. A procedure for testing the significance of orbital tuning of the Martian polar layered deposits Icarus, 2014. pdf
- Gomez, Pollard, Mitrovica, Huybers and Clark Evolution of a coupled marine ice sheet---sea level model, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2012. pdf
- Huybers, Combined obliquity and precession pacing of the late Pleistocene glacial cycles, Nature, 2011. pdf
- Gomez, Mitrovica, Huybers and Clark Sea level as a stabilizing factor for marine ice-sheet grounding lines, Nature Geoscience, 2010. pdf
- Siddall, Hönisch, Waelbroeck and Huybers Changes in deep Pacific temperature during the mid-Pleistocene transition and Quaternary, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2010. pdf
- Naish and co-authors Obliquity-paced Pliocene West Antarctic ice sheet oscillations, Nature, 2009. pdf
- Perron and Huybers, Is there an orbital signal in the polar layered deposits on Mars? , Geology, 2009. pdf
- Huybers, Antarctica's orbital beat, Science, 2009. pdf
- Huybers, Pleistocene glacial variability as a chaotic response to obliquity forcing , Climate of the Past, 2009. pdf
- Huybers and Langmuir, Feedback between deglaciation, volcanism and atmospheric CO2 , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2009. pdf and supplementary data
- Clark and Huybers, Interglacial and future sea level, Nature news & views, 2009. pdf
- Huybers and Tziperman, Integrated summer insolation forcing and 40,000 year glacial cycles: the perspective from an icesheet/energy-balance model, Paleoceanography, 2008. pdf and code
- Huybers and Denton, Antarctic temperature at orbital time scales controlled by local summer duration, Nature Geoscience, 2008. pdf and supplementary material
- Raymo and Huybers, Unlocking the mysteries of the ice ages, Nature, 2008. pdf
- Huybers, Glacial variability over the last 2Ma: an extended depth-derived agemodel, continuous obliquity pacing, and the Pleistocene progression, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2007. pdf and supplemental material
- Huybers and Molnar, Tropical cooling and the onset of North American glaciation, Climate of the Past, 2007. pdf
- Tziperman, Raymo, Huybers and Wunsch Consequences of pacing the Pleistocene 100 kyr ice ages by nonlinear phase locking to Milankovitch forcing, Paleoceanography, 2006. pdf
- Huybers and Curry, Links between annual, Milankovitch, and continuum temperature variability, Nature, 2006. pdf and supplemental material
- Huybers and Wunsch, Obliquity pacing of the late Pleistocene glacial terminations, Nature, 2005. pdf
- Huybers, Early Pleistocene glacial cycles and the integrated summer insolation forcing, Science, 2006. pdf, supporting online material, and insolation values and code posted at NCDC
- Huybers and Wunsch, A depth-derived Pleistocene age-model: uncertainty estimates, sedimentation variability, and nonlinear climate change, Paleoceanography, 2004. pdf
- Huybers and Wunsch, Rectification and precession-period signals in the
climate system, Geophysical Research Letters, 2003. pdf