GlaciationWhat causes the variability in Plio-Pleistocene glaciation?
- It has become increasingly clear that understanding glacial cycles requires understanding of the accompanying changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration. Although generally ascribed to variations in marine carbon pools, changes in atmospheric CO2 concentrations may also involve variations in fluxes from the solid Earth. Glacial unloading appears to have roughly tripled global volcanic activity during the last deglaciation and, quite possibly, also increased the volcanic emission of CO2 (2009).
- Another line of work is to distinguish between the many competing glacial hypotheses by testing the extent to which obliquity and precession control the timing of deglaciation (2005, 2011). A related question is why there is not more precession variability evident in proxy records during the early Pleistocene (2006, 2008)?
- Further examples of interactions between glaciation and other parts of Earth's climate include that long term cooling in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific may have initiated Northern Hemisphere glaciation (e.g. 2007), and that Antarctica's response to insolation forcing seems to mirror and may reinforce the Northern response (2008).
- High resolution imagery and topography from Mars offers another perspective for understanding the orbital influence on glaciation, though positively identifying orbital variability has been challenging given currently available data (2009). We have been trying a different technique for identification of late (2014).
- Clark and Huybers, Interglacial and future sea level, Nature news & views, 2009. pdf
- Gomez, Pollard, Mitrovica, Huybers and Clark Evolution of a coupled marine ice sheet---sea level model, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2012. pdf
- Gomez, Mitrovica, Huybers and Clark Sea level as a stabilizing factor for marine ice-sheet grounding lines, Nature Geoscience, 2010. pdf
- Huybers and Wunsch, Rectification and precession-period signals in the
climate system, Geophysical Research Letters, 2003. pdf
- Huybers and Wunsch, A depth-derived Pleistocene age-model: uncertainty estimates, sedimentation variability, and nonlinear climate change, Paleoceanography, 2004. pdf
- Huybers and Wunsch, Obliquity pacing of the late Pleistocene glacial terminations, Nature, 2005. pdf
- Huybers, Early Pleistocene glacial cycles and the integrated summer insolation forcing, Science, 2006. pdf, supporting online material, and insolation values and code posted at NCDC
- Huybers and Curry, Links between annual, Milankovitch, and continuum temperature variability, Nature, 2006. pdf and supplemental material
- Huybers, Glacial variability over the last 2Ma: an extended depth-derived agemodel, continuous obliquity pacing, and the Pleistocene progression, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2007. pdf and supplemental material
- Huybers and Molnar, Tropical cooling and the onset of North American glaciation, Climate of the Past, 2007. pdf
- Huybers and Tziperman, Integrated summer insolation forcing and 40,000 year glacial cycles: the perspective from an icesheet/energy-balance model, Paleoceanography, 2008. pdf and code
- Huybers and Denton, Antarctic temperature at orbital time scales controlled by local summer duration, Nature Geoscience, 2008. pdf and supplementary material
- Huybers, Antarctica's orbital beat, Science, 2009. pdf
- Huybers, Pleistocene glacial variability as a chaotic response to obliquity forcing , Climate of the Past, 2009. pdf
- Huybers and Langmuir, Feedback between deglaciation, volcanism and atmospheric CO2 , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2009. pdf and supplementary data
- Huybers, Combined obliquity and precession pacing of the late Pleistocene glacial cycles, Nature, 2011. pdf
- Naish and co-authors Obliquity-paced Pliocene West Antarctic ice sheet oscillations, Nature, 2009. pdf
- Perron and Huybers, Is there an orbital signal in the polar layered deposits on Mars? , Geology, 2009. pdf
- Raymo and Huybers, Unlocking the mysteries of the ice ages, Nature, 2008. pdf
- Siddall, Hönisch, Waelbroeck and Huybers Changes in deep Pacific temperature during the mid-Pleistocene transition and Quaternary, Quaternary Science Reviews, 2010. pdf
- Sori, Perron, Huybers and Aharonson. A procedure for testing the significance of orbital tuning of the Martian polar layered deposits Icarus, 2014. pdf
- Tziperman, Raymo, Huybers and Wunsch Consequences of pacing the Pleistocene 100 kyr ice ages by nonlinear phase locking to Milankovitch forcing, Paleoceanography, 2006. pdf