Information about Steven Finch
Steven Finch received his B.A. in Mathematics from Oberlin
College in 1982 and his M.S. in Applied Mathematics from the University
of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) in 1985. He worked in statistical weather forecasting for
nine years, first at The Analytic
Sciences Corporation (TASC) and then at MIT
Lincoln Laboratory. He was a technical writer at MathSoft
Inc. from 1995 to 2002, held biostatistics programming positions
at the Boston University School of Public Health
and at Tufts-New England Medical Center,
and now is Statistical Computing Scientist/Preceptor at the Harvard
University Department of Statistics. Finch is also honored to have received a Book Fellowship
from the Clay Mathematics Institute
beginning in 2004, and a Ford award
for expository excellence in 2005. In his other life, he is a piano accompanist and composer, and appears
frequently as a classical recitalist and choral singer. A compact disc recording,
Apple Gathering, of entirely original vocal music is available for purchase;
it features the extraordinary choral group Boston Secession and acclaimed
concert soprano Nancy Armstrong.
Pure Mathematics publications
- S. R. Finch, Mathematical
Constants, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2003;
- S. R. Finch, G. Martin and P. Sebah, Roots of unity and nullity modulo n,
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 138 (2010) 2729-2743;
- S. R. Finch and P. Sebah, Comment on "Volumes spanned by random points in the hypercube",
Random Structures Algorithms 35 (2009) 390-392;
- S. R. Finch and I. Hueter, Random convex hulls: A variance revisited,
Adv. Appl. Probab. 36 (2004) 981-986;
- S. R. Finch and J. E. Wetzel, Lost in a forest, Amer. Math. Monthly 11
(2004) 645-654 [winner of the Ford award];
- N. J. Calkin, S. R. Finch and T. B. Flowers, Difference density and aperiodic
sum-free sets, Integers
5 (2005) A3;
- P. E. Manne and S. R. Finch, A solution to the bent wire problem, Amer.
Math. Monthly 109 (2002) 750-752;
- S. Finch, Several constants arising in statistical mechanics, Annals
of Combin. 3 (1999) 323-335; arXiv:math/9810155;
- S. Finch, The average value of the Smarandache function, Smarandache
Notions J. 10 (1999) 95-96; 11 (2000) 140-141; MR
- N. Calkin and S. Finch, Conditions on periodicity for a sum-free set,
Experim. Math. 5 (1996) 131-137;
- J. Cassaigne and S. Finch, A class of 1-additive sequences and quadratic
recurrences, Experim. Math. 4
(1995) 49-60; MR
- S. Finch, Patterns in 1-additive sequences, Experim.
Math. 1 (1992) 57-63; MR
- S. Finch, Are 0-additive sequences always regular?, Amer. Math. Monthly
99 (1992) 671-673;
- S. Finch, On the regularity of certain 1-additive sequences, J. Combin.
Theory Ser. A. 60 (1992) 123-130; MR
- S. Finch, Conjectures about s-additive sequences, Fibonacci Quart.
29 (1991) 209-214; MR
Pure Mathematics preprints
- S. Finch, Supplementary materials for Mathematical Constants, in
- S. Finch, Birth cries for Mathematical Simulations in R
(code, output & links).
- S. Finch, Union of n disks: Remote centers, common origin,
- S. Finch, Pins, stakes, anchors and Gaussian triangles,
- S. Finch, Uniform triangles with equality constraints,
- S. Finch, Lognormality and triangles of unit area,
- S. Finch, In limbo: Three triangle centers,
- S. Finch, Least capacity point of triangles,
- S. Finch, Appell F1 and conformal mapping,
- S. Finch, Convex hull of two orthogonal disks,
- S. Finch, Oblique circular cones and cylinders,
- S. Finch, Mutually equidistant spheres that intersect,
- S. Finch, Width distributions for convex regular polyhedra,
- S. Finch, Mean width of a regular simplex,
- S. Finch, Mean width of a regular cross-polytope,
- S. Finch, Planar projections and second intrinsic volume,
- S. Finch, Rank-3 projections of a 4-cube,
- S. Finch, Random Gaussian tetrahedra,
- S. Finch, Two sample covariances from a trivariate normal distribution,
- S. Finch, Perimeter variance of uniform random triangles,
- S. Finch and A. Jones, Random spherical triangles,
- S. Finch, Correlation between angle and side,
- S. Finch, Three random tangents to a circle,
- S. Finch, Covering a sphere with four random circular caps,
- S. Finch and P. Sebah, Squares and cubes modulo n,
- S. Finch, Idempotents and nilpotents modulo n,
- S. Finch, Powers of Euler's q-Series,
- S. Finch, Quartic and octic characters modulo n,
- S. Finch and P. Sebah, Residue of a mod 5 Euler product,
- S. Finch, Another look at AR(1),
- S. Finch, CLT variance associated with Baxendale's SDE,
- S. Finch, P. Sebah and Z.-Q. Bai, Odd entries in Pascal's trinomial triangle,
- S. Finch, Z.-Q. Bai and P. Sebah, Typical dispersion and generalized Lyapunov exponents,
- S. Finch and J. Shonder, Lost at sea,
- S. Finch and L.-Y. Zhu, Searching for a shoreline,
- S. Finch, The logarithmic spiral conjecture,
- S. Finch, A convex maximization problem: Discrete case,
- S. Finch, A convex maximization problem: Continuous case,
- M. Schweitzer and S. Finch, Zero divisors in associative algebras over infinite fields,
Problems seeking solutions
- S. Finch, Problem 1302 (Oblique circular cones, randomly inscribed), Pi Mu Epsilon J. v. 14 (2015) n. 2;
- S. Finch, Problem 11687 (Slicing a doughnut at random), Amer. Math. Monthly 120 (2013) 77; 122 (2015) 177-178.
- S. Finch, Computer algebra and elliptic functions,
incomplete work (2013).
- S. Finch, Problem 1305 (Well-centered tetrahedra, randomly inscribed), Elem. Math. 67 (2012) 151; 68 (2013) 128-131.
- S. Finch, Problem 979 (Acute chordal triangles, randomly inscribed), College Math. J. 43 (2012) 258; 44 (2013) 237-238.
- S. Finch, Problem 1895 (Three random intercepts of a segment), Math. Mag. 85 (2012) 151; 86 (2013) 152-153.
- S. Finch and B. Harder, Periodicity in sequences mod 3,
incomplete work (2002).
- S. Finch, A convex maximization problem, J. Global Optim. 2 (1992)
- Lost hikers and bent wires, Geometric Potpourri Seminar, University of Illinois
Mathematics Department (Oct. 2000).
- In search of a promised land, Visiting Lecture, Oberlin College Mathematics
Department (Nov. 2004).
Applied Mathematics/Statistics publications
- R. Ziff, S. Finch and V. Adamchik, Universality of
finite-size corrections to the number of critical percolation clusters,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 79 (1997) 3447-3450;
- S. Finch, R. Cole, G. Rasmussen, W. Wilson and S. Kim, Summer 1992
Terminal area-Local Analysis and Prediction System (T-LAPS) evaluation,
MIT/LL Project Report ATC-218 (1994). *
- K. MacNichol and S. Finch, CFLOS4D accuracy assessment using Whole
Sky Imager data, Proc. 1991 Conf. Cloud Impacts on DoD Operations and
Systems (July 1991); also AF Phillips Laboratory Report PL-TR-91-2098. *
- S. Finch and K. MacNichol, Preliminary data requirements analysis
for CFLOS4D/CFARC model validation, Proc. 1989/90 Conf. Cloud Impacts
on DoD Operations and Systems (Jan. 1990).
- C. Medler and S. Finch, Semi-Markov models for cloudy and cloud-free
intervals, Proc. 1988/89 Conf. Cloud Impacts on DoD Operations and
Systems (Oct. 1988).
- S. Finch, S. Koenig and F. K. Sun, Modeling strategic weapon system
error due to reentry weather, Proc. Military Operations Research Society
56th Symp. (June 1988).
* Available through the National Technical Information Service,
Springfield VA 22161.
Photograph courtesy of Keith Glavash