Hockey stick material
Supplemental material for the
Comment on ``Hockey sticks, principal components, and spurious
significance'' by McIntyre and McKitrick 
1. Noamer.m: The seventy North American tree ring records originally
catalogued as auxiliary material by MM05. The records are
identical with those used by MBH98. Slight modifications are made
to the file so that it is Matlab readable.
2. Northern_Hemisphere_Temperature.m :
Matlab readable version of the updated instrumental Northern
Hemisphere Temperature estimate from from Jones and Moberg .
See the file for full references.
3. Instrumental_Sparse.m: Matlab
readable version of the Northern Hemisphere temperature records
used by MBH98 and MM05 for calibration and verification.
4. Mpca.m: Matlab script that normalizes the NOAMER data-set
according to the MBH98, MM05, and fully normalized conventions.
PCs and averages of the normalized data-set are computed and the
figures included in the comment are generated.
5. Rscript.R: Modified version of the R script used by MM05 to
produce figures and to estimate RE critical values and other
statistic. All modification which I made are described in the
code using the format "#PH, ...". Modification were only made to
fix minor bugs (mostly associated with file paths) and to
correctly compute the RE statistic. The original code omits a
crucial normalization step when computing realization of the RE
statistic. The modified code now computes RE values with the
normalization step, referred to in the code as REfix. To get this
code to run on your machine you will need to change the
temp.directory on line 226 to a directory local to your computer.
To download and install the R software see www.r-project.org.
Note you will also need to have the waveslim package installed.
6. Monte_Carlo_RE.m: A simple Matlab
example illustrating the discrepancy in MM05's estimate of the RE
7. xcPH.m : cross-correlation.
8. rePH.m : reduction in error statistic.
9. phaserandomize.m : generates random records with an auto-correlation
structure similar to the input record.
10. smoothPH.m : smooths a vector.
a. Matlab codes were run with version 7.0 on MAC OSX.
b. R codes were run with version 2.1.0 on Windows XP, [see
cran.r-project.org]. Binaries for the waveslim package used by
MM05 are only pre-compiled for Windows machines.