Main debate: Should trade agreements include provisions that set minimum environmental standards?
1. Is there a "race to the bottom" in environmental standards in developing nations?
2. How has the WTO rules in disputes involving environment-related trade barriers in the past?
3. Do you think WTO rules should be altered to allow governments greater flexibility in using trade policies to pursue environmental objectives? Would this be fair for developing nations? Would they comply? What would be the implications for economic growth in these developing nations?
4. Are demands for linking environmental causes with trade agreements another form of protectionism in disguise?
5. Would it be better to environmental objectives more directly by negotiating
issue-specific international environmental agreements and/or by creating
a new world environmental organization?